10.13.2009

Face me. Embrace me.

OK, I'm curious to see who's with me on this. Because if you aren't with me, you're probably with someone else. And that's OK, I just don't want to know about it.

So here it goes. Usually when I meet-up with or say bye to people I call "friends" or "loved ones" or "anyone who looks like Zach Galifianakis" we hug. Well sort of. Lately these people are giving me some weird half-ass or rather half-body hug I'm calling the "sideways hug." This is how it works: I face the person, straight-on, and outstretch both arms towards the person to signify "hey, I really like you and you smell nice. Please hold me." While at the same time my friend turns his/her body slightly to the side and outstretches one arm towards me and the other off to their side like some cheerleader, to signify "hey, I like you more than a handshake but not really much more than a hug." And when we come together it's this uncomfortable, awkward, perpendicular embrace that leaves me feeling depressed, even if the people I'm getting them from are not cheerleaders. I should have seen this coming when we went from the double-hand slap



to the fist bump.



At first I tried to train myself to go from my two-armed + one-chest hug to work with these one-armed + one-hip hugs but I couldn't do it! I am so uncoordinated. So for awhile I stopped making the effort to hug people as much as possible to avoid being sidewayed...but then I became paranoid that people would think I had syphilis or swamp pits. And that's worse than having them think I'm some slippery creep who wants to fully embrace them....right? I can't win. This sucks. I need a hug.

So is the sideways hug the way to go? The old-school squeeze is no more? Do you offer a reserved sideways hug or do you like to sweep your peeps up into your arms? Is there anything wrong with either hug-method? Do you think that I think you give a shit about this? I am curious to know.

Next blog: The "backwards kick in the nuts."

4 comments:

  1. I say, full on miser hugs. And if they can't handle the heat, pick-pocket 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! All or nothing or perhaps your cash and photo ID! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I'm very upset that none of my friends will allow me to immediately de-pants them and have anal sex with them when we meet on the street. Especially the guys. Geez, what a bunch of uptight turds...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're gonna hug somebody, you gotta get into it. The half-hugs drive me crazy too. But then again, I'm a big hugger, so I'm easily offended by those little snubs.

    ReplyDelete

It's all a little bit mostly true sometimes but not really.